Friday, February 24, 2012

Who throws an awesome llama llama birthday party? This girl!

A few years my little Katie asked me to give her a Llama Llama Birthday Party. As many of you know, we absolutely LOVE everything about the Llama Llama books. (Have no idea what I'm talking about? Visit http://www.llamallamabook.com/ NOW!)

Anyway, I gave Katie a fun, down-to-earth party because, well, that's how we do things. I posted something on an online forum and I started getting alot of questions about my Llama Llama party ideas and how to throw a Llama Llama party. Over the next 2 years, I would answer dozens of emails from people and had no where to send them except to my personal FB page. In order for them to view the pictures, I would have to "friend" these people that I didn't know and it just ended up being too much work for me. But since I have so much fun with my Llama Llama party, I decided to put it in my blog and be able to just forward the link to people who need more info. So, here it is. My feeble attempt to honor Anna Dewdney, her sweet little llama and his all too familiar Mama. Enjoy.

For my little Katie's 3rd birthday, we had everybody come in their PJs. For the birthday girl, I found a pair of red leggings and a red shirt as her "red pajamas". I created an iron-on of the Llama and ironed it on the shirt and pants (you'll see in the pictures) so she would match the theme.

Decorations
This one was hard. As I'm sure you know, there isn't a Llama Llama party kit (yet). I had to be creative and frugal. I printed out some pictures of Llama on 8.5x11 paper, cut him out and taped him to balloons. I taped them to some of her presents and around the gift and cake tables. At one time, you could order a stuffed Llama Llama online (he's a little larger than a barbie doll but a he's a stuffed animal - I'm not sure if he's still available, check eBay). I used blue tablecloths, red plates and napkins and lots of pictures of Llama.

The Cake
I made a traditional 13x9 cake and colored the squares on top to match his blanket. Then I printed out a picture of him snuggling with his blanket, taped it to a couple popsicle sticks and stuck the sticks into the top of the cake. At this point, a picture is worth a thousand words. This cake is always hard for me to describe. You could probably have a baker make this for you, it would probably look better, but I get great joy by making my kids' cakes and I like to experiment. It didn't turn out too bad. I supplemented with cupcakes. Obviously a 13x9 won't feed very many hungry Llama lovers.

Activities
Start with some coloring as guests arrive. I found some black and white drawings of Llama online and set them out on a coffee table with small chairs. Many of the children who came didn't know who Llama is so this was a fun way to introduce them. At the end of the coloring, the snacking and the playing, I read the Llama Llama Red Pajama story to them. It was very sweet because my girls knew all the words and were reading along. There is a woman named Nina that I found on YouTube. She sings the Llama story(it's pretty awesome). I did pull it up on the TV so the kids could dance around to it after we read the book. They had a blast (See Nina here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Ei8VIPYLc)

Favors
I found a package of paperback Llama books really cheap online (8 paperback Lllama Llama Red Pajama books for $12) The kids were excited to take Llama home with them!

If you decide to have a Llama Llama birthday party, I hope you have as much fun as I did. It was perfect for our family, not too over the top but still rememberable.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks so much for posting your ideas! Super cute! I'm thinking about the same theme for my son's birthday party. Do you remember where you bought the set of paperbacks for so inexpensive? I've been looking online with no luck. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got really lucky just typing it in on Google. That was years ago though and I could find the link when I went back while writing this blog. Might want to check eBay or Scholastic, I know they have some of the new ones. I'll look too. If you happen to find them, please post here so others will know. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

    ReplyDelete